Career Ladder: Product Management/Product Manager
Serves as product champion for specified product line(s) globally by developing, implementing, and managing product management activities to provide optimum sales and profits. Compiles and evaluates research on assigned product line(s) to establish product management strategies. Responsible for product direction, pricing, profit plans and product development, to manage the product line(s) life cycle. Manages assigned product line(s) to approved performance metrics. May lead product business teams and the development of product strategy for select products.
• Defines market opportunities, determined by an analytical assessment. Translates the market need into a product specific criteria and supports the product development and commercialization process with various product management tactics.
• Develops, drives, and implements individual product plans and strategy.
• Directs ongoing analysis and leads the pricing and discounting strategy to provide greatest financial performance.
• Accountable for product data accuracy and relevance across CBS and HM Group business systems (Sytline / PDM / EOS Cloud / CET / Omni). Initiates and manages workflows for changes to relevant HM Group product data systems.
• Creates necessary product sales support, training and technical product information including product feature summaries, competitive evaluations and pricing comparisons. Delivers engaging client & dealer product presentations & sales training in person and via relevant HM Group digital platforms.
• Defines analytical tools and observes research, forming insight and observations necessary to provide insight necessary for decision making.
• Fields general questions including competitive inquires and make decisions or recommendations to resolve.
• Owns the effort to resolve quality issues, evaluate and drive changes that affect P&L.
• Manages the product life cycle of the product lines from identification, introduction, through growth and maturity, to decline and discontinuation and provides input on product simplification/discontinuation for product lines.
• Acts as a mentor to help develop other Product colleagues.
• Defines and observes research, forming insights and observations. Conducts some research with customers, users and other stakeholders.
• Participate in and support new product exploration data inputs for an assigned product. Support Product Development projects providing insight and direction on customer needs, pricing strategy and product criteria.
• Works in close collaboration with marketing and sales colleagues throughout HM Group to define and implement new product launches and market launch activation plans.
• Performs additional responsibilities as requested to achieve business objectives.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s Degree required. Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business Administration, or Furniture / Product Design preferred.
• Proven understanding of product management best practices and processes, typically gained through 4-7+ years of experience in product management/product marketing or related experience.
• Contract furniture or capital goods marketing experience and / or premium consumer merchant experience preferred.
• Licenses and Certifications
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Proven understanding of the customer and sales process with demonstrated customer and field interaction.
• Understands channels and markets globally. Applies understanding of the market and channel in developing effective product strategy for one or more products.
• Full understanding of operations, production, supply management, full value stream.
• Applies understanding of Herman Miller’s channels, including dealer and/or retail, and understanding their main functions (sales, design, and operations) to develop product strategies for one or more products.
• Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to investigate and analyze information to make recommendations.
• Ability to handle multiple concurrent responsibilities and work in a constantly changing environment. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple major projects and priorities simultaneously and meet deadlines.
• Outstanding leadership skills with proven creative problem-solving skills and the ability to lead through influence and relationship building within all areas of the company.
• Demonstrated leadership skills, including experience leading cross functional development teams.
• Prior product platform team and market research experience preferred.
• Demonstrated analytical and project management skills. Ability to develop project plans and manage activities for a medium or large cross functional project.
• Strong business, financial, manufacturing, and purchasing acumen and integrate this knowledge into decision making. Understands how Product Management impacts the financial positioning of the product line and makes decisions around improving the overall P&L of the product line.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively use office automation and communication software and tools currently being used in the Herman Miller Group office environment.
• Willingness to travel to HM Group, dealer and customer sites, globally.
• Must be able to perform all essential functions of the position with or without accommodations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to perform all essential functions of the position with or without accommodations.